Thursday, November 1, 2007

"...punishing the children for the sin of the fathers to the third and fourth generation..."

Race- n.
Each of the major divisions of humankind, having distinct physical characteristics
Ism- suffix forming nouns
Denoting a system, principle, or ideological movement; denoting a pathological condition
History is strewn with the massacres and persecutions caused by prejudice. Parrillo addresses some of these events in “Causes of Prejudice”. He explains the psychology behind prejudice feelings and actions, and gives many examples to help shed light on our culture today. One term describing a pathological tendency in prejudice behavior is socialization. The socialization process is when “individuals acquire the values, attitudes, beliefs, and perceptions of their culture or subculture, including religion, nationality, and social class.” I am a follower of Aristotle and believe everything I know is presumed. Someone supposes an idea, “proves” it, and we accept the idea as truth. In my mind the socialization process piggybacks this belief. We learn cognitively. Before we can formulate opinions on anything we are taught what to believe. An example would be growing up with a religious background. I was taught there is a god. I was taught who he/she was, what he/she has done, and why he/she existed. It wasn’t until seventh grade that I even heard of the concept of atheism. No god? Yes, there’s one dummy, just like that chair there is blue. I knew there was a god without even thinking about it. I think prejudice can evolve like this. Without realizing it where we grow up, who our parents are, and what kind of financial class we are in will create biased views on the world. It isn’t until we hear an opposing idea that we even notice a belief is actually an opinion. I find it truly sad when I know someone isn’t listening to me. I enjoy a passionate and intellectual argument, but am disappointed when someone will not even hear my idea and think about it. I think part of the problem with socialization is it is scary when someone tells us we’re wrong. It reminds us we are only human. It reminds us we do not know everything and neither did our parents. I also think it is a lot easier to accept something as truth rather than think about it, question it, and educate ourselves on the matter.

No comments: