Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Cora Tucker's Success as Compared to Willy Loman's Failure

After I finished the play “Death of a Salesman” I was set in the belief that Willy and his family were to faulted for me to empathize with them. After our discussions in class my belief has changed. I no longer see Willy and his family as weak dishonest people, but a family crushed by one man’s dreams. Hope is what compels us to go on, once Willy lost that he lost himself. I thought Willy did not represent the common man but he does. Willy represents something inside of all of us, our dreams of success. I pointed out the way the family treated one another but I did not take into account that any person that would have been through the utter disappointment of life’s hardships would act in the same way. Also, after having listened to our analysis of DOAS, I think it wasn’t what was in Willy that killed him, but the situation he was living in. Willy believed a Salesman’s job would bring you success, would bring you into a category of infamy and “well-likedness”. It wasn’t that Willy was unskilled but that he put all his work and hope into the dream of being a great salesman. Cora tucker was the opposite. In “Good Noise” she fights for what she believes but she uses what little she has to her advantages. Even though it is not explicitly said I believe that Cora would talk “grassroots” in order to connect with her audience, the poor black low class of Halifax County. Had Cora talked with a different speech, maybe one more articulate and eloquent, she wouldn’t be accomplishing what she wants. Cora wants the lower class people to vote and get involved. In order to reach them she speaks like them. Cora isn’t affluent or even holding a prominent job, but she accomplishes what she wants from life with hard work and dedication. Willy was a hard worker and extremely dedicated but got nothing from life.

2 comments:

Elise Carter said...

Maggie, I felt the exact same way when I first read the book Death of a Salesman, but I agree with you when you say that it is one man's dream that pulls the whole family down. This was all because Willy lost himself, and his dreams, like you said. I also think that if Willy were in a different scenario, and maybe his dream of being "well-liked" was possible earlier on in his life, but not later on. The only thing I disagree with you on, is that if Cora talked in a more articulate manner, then I believe that she could've gotten what she wanted in life. I don't really believe how you say it makes the difference, even though it does have a big impact, it is what oyu say to them. But, I alos love how Cora is able to accomplish her dreams through hard work.

Anonymous said...

Some good ideas here girls, but push them farther - does Cora need to be 'well-liked' - why or why not?