Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Can't Argue With Abercrombie and Fitch

Targeting young white teens, Abercrombie and Fitch continues to annually rake in established annual sales of $3,318,158,000. I walk into the store and am bombarded with pictures of sexy muscular men sensually pushing their pants down, beautiful women eyeing the camera, and (my personal favorite) half-naked men and women intertwined on top of couches, in fields, and on beaches. Why use these photographs, erotic photographs to appeal to white 18-25 year olds? Are teenagers not extremely hormonal? Are teenage girls not the most self and body obsessed people? Why not! But A&F doesn’t just stop at the attractive pictures covering every wall (including within the dressing room), but makes sure to only hire ‘attractive’ workers as well. The dress code at A&F has recently been covered by CBS news. In the article A&F must reimburse prior A&F employees for clothing purchased in California stores during that period of time that employees worked there. Evidently, the employees were ‘encouraged’ to wear only Abercrombie clothing while on the job. If A&F only hires attractive employees why would they force their workers to wear only the A&F clothing? Hmmmm
All of Abercrombie and Fitches clothing is splattered with the A&F insignia and company name. Anyone (and I am completely including myself in this statement) who wears A&F clothing is basically a walking billboard. This is a wonderful rhetorical device used on the American population because if an A&F item of clothing is being ogled at, the ogler will know where they can get an exact replica.
Now before you comment, know that everything I have just said totally applies to me and I am perfectly willing to admit it. I know A&F is (usually) overpriced and understaffed. I know I shouldn’t buy into the rhetorical argument A&F stores make. The point is, I like their clothing. I think it is attractive and I usually want it enough that I’ll buy it. I believe I buy the clothing simply because I like it but maybe there is some pathological manipulation I am unaware of here. To that, I give you another hmmmm…

No comments: