Friday, April 4, 2008

Disney Women

As a little kid I was always a fan of Disney fairy tales. I remember seeing Beauty and the Beast with my dad in theatres. I remember watching Cinderella with my aunt and family before dinner. I remember almost all the movies, especially Snow White. I remembered snow white for her beautiful black hair, fair skin, and heart of gold. I can remember all the odd little dwarves but not their names. I also remember the beautiful evil stepmother and role as snow whites horrible nemesis. I can remember all these things and it is not until now that I can fully understand how deep every character’s meaning.

Two women are featured in this movie and three have roles. Snow White’s biological mother is dead, rendering her powerless. Snow White must be the dumbest girl I have ever been forced to watch star in a movie. The dwarves tried to tell her not to listen or take anything from strangers and not only does she ignore their warning, SHE TAKES FOOD. And of course this leads me to her Evil stepmother. The one women with power in he story and she uses it for evil. I find it interesting Disney chose to make a woman, particularly a stepmother, the nemesis in most of their movies. What does all this teach our children? That most women with power, a queen, will use it for harm? To be good they must be beautiful and stupid? And if they do mess up, eventually their prince will come along and clean up their mess? Mulan was past my generation and at the moment I cant think of another Disney movie with a powerful women taking the lead role. What was I taught?

No comments: