Sunday, August 24, 2008

"The Lesson"

Toni Cade Bambara's "The Lesson" illustrates for the reader a young girl's revelation about a country that cheats her yet publicizes its equality.
1. To what toy store did Miss Moore take the children?
2. Explain the internal conflict the narrator feels right before she enters the toy shop.
3. Do you think the author did a successful job in making an implicit argument within this story?
I did not like this story. I think it was cliche and much to transparent of a plotline. I think the author relied heavily on the narrator's dirty mouth to give the story credibility. I think the author tries to make a political argument within this story. I agree with the author's perspective but think she made a terrible job crafting this piece. Her emotional appeal in the story is good but too fake, too made for TV movie. When I read this I didn't think that i wanted to meet the main character. I thought that she sounded like a fictional character. The opening of the story is quite good and caught my attention. I did not enjoy he rest all that much.

1 comment:

amypfan said...

"Too made for TV movie"
Love it!