Saturday, May 17, 2008

Joe realizes what he wants

At the end of the novel Joe realizes that we must turn our guns on the people (government) that tells us to shoot to kill. This is a surprising ending because the entire book seems to implicitly make the argument that war must end. I personally think the book should be about peace. However if the book were about peace it would be futile. We could never achieve peace because we are a corrupt people. I also don’t think American people will ever revolt against the government for telling them to go to war. Although Joe is pointing the gun at the end of the book for peace, I don’t think this is a good strategy for it. I do think Trumbo’s impassioned book was beautifully written and probably and eye opener to many. His resolution to the book was amazing even if I don’t agree with his concept.

No comments: