Wednesday, January 28, 2009

reaction to question 1

I don’t think sex is nearly as prevalent in our time as in the BNW time. There are “feelies” but most people don’t frequent them. A majority of our culture is only focused on ‘what feels good’ but a minority is focused on living a meaningful good life.
We do travel to far away places often because it is so easy even though it negatively affects the environment. Unfortunately, about 70% of CEOs are male. This is like the book because only males seem to be in power.
I think it’s really hard to compare this book to the present because this book could never ever happen. We could never wipe out disease. We could never eradicate every natural unpleasantry while still living in a stable environment. This book is a completely impossible way of life so it was difficult to take it seriously.
I did think about heaven when reading this book. I’ve thought about under the same circumstances before. How could we ever reach a place with no unhappiness while still truly feeling happy all the time? What would the comparison be to feel the happiness? I don’t feel like the book really made an accurate depiction of what life could be like in the future besides complete control from the government. I think Huxley’s point is that we all seek physical satisfaction most of the time. Technology’s goal is to make everything easier and more enjoyable. He’s reached the peak of complete ease and enjoyment. His point is that no one is truly happy. I agree. But like I said, this could never happen in real life.

No comments: