Thursday, March 20, 2008

Art Influence

http://artbozeman.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/kevinconolly-mangirlandboy-clujnapocaromania.jpg

I was about to start a tedious expedition in search of the perfect picture when I was pleasantly surprised. I opened my internet explorer page to my yahoo home page and found the opening news story to be directly related to art.
Kevin Connolly was born with no legs. Rather than succumb to depression and personal defeat, Kevin Connolly chooses to live an exceptional life. He holds an Olympic medal and has traveled through Europe and Asia, feats most Americans have not accomplished. While in Europe, Connolly took a picture of a man he knew was staring at him. This picture eventually evolved into 32,000 photographs of curious onlookers to Connolly’s circumstance.
Connolly says he takes the pictures because when people are looking at him with pity or curiosity or disgust it opens them up. One can see into these people, into their souls. Connolly also he likes to make sure he is not looking at them when he snaps the shot because you get a personal and emotional shot of them.
Connolly’s story completely captured me. (side note: I found it serendipitous that I would find this news article before I even started looking for pictures.) I went though numerous photographs trying to find one that I personally connected with. I decided on a photograph of a little boy and girl and their father. I chose this photo because there is something about the boy’s eyes and demeanor. His upper body is pulling away from the camera and Connolly. Is this out of disgust or fear of what is different? His eyes are drawn which gives him a look of disgust. I doubt the boy actually feels disgust toward Connolly so what are the boy’s eyes saying? I see sadness and shock, a bit of both. I think it is interesting the boy pays complete attention to Connolly while his father and sister seem to be engrossed in other thoughts. His sister is looking through Connolly; slight curiosity shown in her face. His father is not even paying Connolly attention.
I think what is shown in the photographs is important but I think the what is an even greater question. Why do people, such as myself, make such looks toward people that are different? Obviously we are surprised and shocked by what we do not know. I also think we don’t want to understand what we don’t know. I think it’s easier to not try to understand some one else’s pain because that requires letting your guard down and thinking. People don’t want to accept that someone else is in real pain because that would be accepting there is a problem in the world. Accepting there is a problem in the world means a change must be made and that requires work and people don’t want to work.

No comments: