Tuesday, March 4, 2008

How does wright deal with his mother's paralysis?

Wright deals with his mother’s paralysis the same way he deals with life; he adapts. Wright has shown many times throughout his book his ability to survive. He is hungry, he waits. He wants answers, he asks. He is bored, he finds something to do. These three sound like simple obstacles to overcome but in reality Wright went hungry, uneducated, and was left to raise himself for most of his life. His most defining moment though, is when his mother becomes paralyzed. Wright writes to his grandmother asked for help. Then he gets numerous jobs to support himself and put food into his hands. Wright does not break, he continues through life. I think Wright’s attitude toward life is not shared by most.
I think most people will not be able to appreciate all of Wright’s accomplishments because they have never had to endure anything. I have no clue what it I like to watch your own mother die in bed before you are a teenager. I have no clue what it is like to be so helpless that you must get a job in order to feed yourself. I do know I can read this book with an open mind and try to understand all that Wright has gone through. I think that is important in this class. I think we need to listen with open minds and not shut a personal story because one believes they have heard it before. We learn from other people, from sharing ideas and personal experiences. To automatically assume a stance and assume and argument forces you to turn off your brain to all ideas.

No comments: