Sunday, February 1, 2009

Reaction to Question 4

I'm definitely in the camp of "I don't know how I feel about the society in this book." Yes, yes, of course it's bad. But... it's all based on comfort and contentment. It is indeed messed up that part of being happy is being on drugs and having a lot of purely physical sex. But then I compare BNW to 1984 and I can't help but think, "Wow, this society is just not that bad in comparison." What I do think is insightful about this book is that Huxley wrote this book to enlighten people that our goals (technology, sex, etc.) will not lead to true happiness. I think 1984 was about how much control the government could gain under the propaganda of "universal happiness". That was about the people that were in power staying in power. BNW is about where we as a people/society are trying to go or what we try to attain. I don't think both are truly comparable.

No comments: