Sunday, September 9, 2007

Biotech Foods

In the debate between biotech foods and conventional foods there are many facts you need to know. The argument for labeling biotech foods is mainly we don’t know what the long term effects of the foods are and some of the studies on these foods may be flawed. The argument defending biotech foods is labeling the foods would just confuse consumers and the foods have been tested. However it was not specified whether it was long term. The essays both seemed well thought out and highly noted. I lean heavily toward having our foods labeled though. Turner is right. We don’t know whether or not these biotech foods will have a long term effect. Council writes, “There hasn’t been a single case of an illness caused by biotech foods.” P 41. Well, I’m glad there haven’t been any illnesses, but what about cancers or problems like that? I want to know how much of the food I’ve been eating has been biotech. I hadn’t even heard of this until I read these essays. I think that even if biotech foods aren’t hazardous, we should have the right of knowing when we’re eating them or not. I think that using the argument of “many consumers don’t care to know” is weak. I think they just don’t really know what biotech food is, where problems can arise in eating these foods. I think that if we as a consumer want information about something as important as what we are eating, it should be our right to have it.

No comments: