Sunday, September 16, 2007

Fears of AP Exam

I didn’t fully understand what the AP English Exam was until I got to University High School. I didn’t know you got college credit. I didn’t know most students in the AP Class were marking their calendars over it. I read the AP Course Description and the fear I initially had was only heightened. I read all the requirements and one the made my heart stop was
“Therefore, occasionally the exam may
contain multiple-choice questions on usage to reflect the link between grammar and
style. The intense concentration on language use in the course enhances students’
ability to use grammatical conventions appropriately and to develop stylistic maturity
in their prose.” P8
I already feel as though my writing is weak, that my sentence structure is terrible. I like my writing to flow and be coherent by I want it to have my own style. I always find this difficult to achieve. I know that they way you use grammar and sentence structure will impact your voice in what you’re writing, but I find it difficult to organize both of those things. I want college credit and I don’t want this year to be a waste. I fear just because I don’t have great syntax and diction it will hold me back. I have an AP Eng Exam guidebook with example questions and when I skimmed it the questions looked difficult but I could answer them correctly.

No comments: