Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Implicit and Explicit Arguments

Implicit and Explicit arguments are two different features to an argument. The implicit argument implies the point the source is trying to get across or sometimes does not even make known there is an argument involved in his/her document. The explicit argument is a direct point made known with reasons or evidence backing it up. I believe both are crucial to a captivating argument and each pack a punch. The explicit argument would be used by debaters or lawyers, or especially my step mom. In order to change any rules in my house you have to convince my step mom of your proposal. In order to do that you better be well-read on the topic (why it isn’t all that unhealthy to eat oreos every night after dinner), really believe in what your point is (I would rather be able to eat what I want than stay out thirty minutes later, thus the better choice of an argument would be the food), and listen to my stepmom, the opposing side. I think the implicit argument may be better in my own personal opinion though. The implicit argument gets you to feel something before you can stop yourself. Many times at the beginning of an argument have I heard a different perspective and before I really absorb what that person is about to say, I stop myself and think about why I don’t believe in what their opinion is. The implicit argument is smooth and successful even if the opposing side won’t admit it. The picture in the book caught my attention and immediately I was drawn to the old man and the understanding passing between these two individuals. I then truly looked at the picture, realized its true meaning, and closed my mind of to it’s possibilities. I thought that the suffering and loss these two men must have shared is immeasurable and terrible at the same time. Although the bond between these is like non other, it’s a bond that they shouldn’t have to have none the less.

No comments: