Thursday, September 6, 2007

Political Cartoon vs. Public Affairs Advocacy Advertisements

When I first opened my political arguments book I opened to page 1 with the political cartoon on it. I did not know what genetically modified meant but I knew whatever it was it looked like it would be beneficial to food and third world countries stricken with poverty. Now after reading part of chapter 2 I understand a little bit better the argument being presented in the political cartoon. The political cartoon is a visual argument, having a strong emotional appeal. As a person whose goal in life is to make a difference in the world, I immediately sided with the author of the cartoon and thought he was making a great point, without even knowing the opposing side’s argument. The political cartoon is a perfect example of an illicit argument. Before I even had considered other possibilities I thought this cartoon was making a great point. Now after reading the other side to the genetically modified food argument I can take a much more educated stance and be able to understand all points of view. The picture on page 24 is both a visual argument and a public affair advertisement. It has emotional appeal and yet it has “an explicit bias and ignores the complexities of the issue by focusing strongly on one view.” I think the political cartoon is less “in your face” and better at tricking you into seeing the authors side. Although the picture did catch my attention and made me feel a little more strongly toward the other’s belief, I was more doubtful of his point.

No comments: