Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Chasm Between Classes, Mantsios

I almost laughed after I finished reading Mantsios’s essay and read the blog question. I normally have a set opinion on every topic but I was somewhat baffled by the facts, opinions, and points Mantsios brings up. Ever since I could differentiate my life and the average American’s I have been opinionated on the topic of the chasm between America’s social classes. About a year ago my step mom recapped for me a book she was reading called “The Stakeholder Society”. The gist of the book’s idea is everyone who graduates from high school will receive an eighty thousand grant. No strings attached, spend it how you want grant. Where will the money come from, I asked. A tax would be placed on the upper class of the United States, creating a pool of money that would grow over time. I cannot remember all other important aspects to the book but I know there are many fine points that go along with this idea such as if you go to college I believe that you get more money. I do know that part of the idea is that before you retire you must pay pack the eighty thousand dollars into this pool. This would eventually end the tax on all the affluent Americans because the money you repay would go back into the pool making it possible for new high school graduates to get their part of the stake. I know this book would not end poverty or even come near it but that is not the point the writers of the book are trying to get across. It is an idea focusing on the enrichment of American citizens. They believe their idea would induce Americans to feel like a valued part of society. The whole idea of two people getting together and coming up with this idea for a book fascinates me. It doesn’t solve our problems or come anywhere near it, but it’s a frigging idea! They look at an idea or custom in our culture or society and think, “Something is wrong with that.” That is not an easy thing to do considering a custom is a practice that has been done for a long time. I believe Mantsios is making an analogous point that the gap between classes is great and hard to overcome. The rich are becoming wealthier while the poor are becoming poorer. My position on the topic is unwavering. If you are born into a certain class, it is nearly impossible to move out of it. This is supported by Ehrenreich’s book “Nickel and Dimed”. Read it and try to convince me that poverty level humans can, after years of hard work, become affluent members of society. I don’t believe there is any other way to interpret Mantsios’s data than the rift between classes is incredibly large an attributes to plenty of America’s problems with poverty.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Maggie, this is a great post - and thanks for the book idea - but you haven't really answered the question about exploiting the poor.